Did you just add a list section in your Google Docs document and want to order it alphabetically? To answer that question, this post explains how to alphabetize in Google Docs step-by-step. For those who may find written guide difficult, I included a video instruction to make sure everyone can achieve what they came for.
How to Alphabetize in Google Docs
Currently, there is no native way to sort contents alphabetically within Google Docs. However, there are a few alternatives. From my research, the most common way is to use a third-party addon called “Sorted Paragraphs“. The add-on is free.
It will be installed using the Google Docs add-on market place so it is not likely to be a pirate or a scam software. Plus, it is easy to install and uninstall.
Alphabetize Google Docs by Sorted Paragraphs
- Go to the Google Docs document that has a section to alphabetize.
- Go to Add-ons => Get add-ons as below.
- Search “Sorted Paragraphs” and click the document plus icon. Click the install button and follow the instructions. You may have to log in again and approve the use of the add-on.
- Once done, check if it’s properly installed as below.
- Select the paragraphs or sections you want to alphabetize by dragging.
- Go to Add-ons => Sorted Paragraphs => Select either Sort A to Z or Sort Z to A.
- That’s it!
How to Uninstall Sorted Paragraphs
After you finish using the add-on, you can uninstall Sorted Paragraphs if you want. However, deleting it is not required if you think you are going to use it again. If you want to delete it, follow the steps.
- Go to Add-ons => Managed add-ons.
- Find “Sorted Paragraphs” and click the Options icon that has three vertical dots.
- Click “Uninstall” and select “UNINSTALL APP” in the confirmation box.
- That’s it.
If you have not been able to sort in an alphabetical order yet, try to watch this video. It can be much easier to follow.
I hope you have now alphabetized in Google Docs. The steps are not difficult and the video instruction should guide you well. If you are looking for more Google Docs tips, check these other posts.