This post explains how to unlink iPhones step-by-step. For those who may find written guides difficult, I included a video to make sure that everyone, after reading the post, can achieve the goal. Let’s find out how straight away.
How to Unlink iPhones
To unlink your iPhone, there are mainly two ways. You can do this either by using iTunes or iPhone itself.
Unlink by iTunes
To unlink your iPhones by iTunes, you should have a PC or a Mac.
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC with Windows.
- On the menu bar at the top, go to Account > View My Account.
- This may require signing in to your Apple ID.
- Scroll down to find the iTunes in the Cloud section like the image.
- Click Manage Devices and you will find the list of your Apple devices linked to your Apple account.
- If you didn’t associate an Apple device, you will not be able to see any in this section.
- Click Remove next to the device you want to unlink.
Unlink on iPhone
You can unlink your iPhone on your iPhone. You may prefer this method since you don’t have to use a computer.
- On the iPhone, go to Settings and tap your name at the top of the menu.
- Tap on iTunes & App Store.
- Tap on your Apple ID at the top.
- Select View Apple ID on the pop-up window.
- This might require sign in.
- Find the iTunes in the Cloud section and select Remove This Device.
I hope that you have been able to unlink your iPhone by following the written guides above. If you found it difficult, this video can also help you.
When to Unlink Your iPhone
You have decided to unlink your iPhones for some reason. When do we want to unlink iPhones or maybe other Apple devices?
- You have reached the limit of synced Apple devices and want to add a new device by removing one.
- You can’t download purchases again from the App Store or iTunes Store.
- You want to sell or give away the device or you lost it.
- It is a good idea to unsync (or unlink) the device in this case due to security reasons.
Benefits of iCloud Sync
It is your choice to unlink your iPhones, but syncing those devices via iCloud provides many benefits.
iCloud sync is a great feature to use since you can see the same apps and contents across different Apple devices such as Mac and an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. By syncing, you can keep the same items up-to-date on your Apple devices. For example, when you add a movie to your iPhone, you can sync so that your iPhone and other synced devices have the movie. You can sync various types of content such as music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, books, and more.
As I explained in the steps above, you can sync various apps as well. You can choose specific apps or just the whole apps to unsync if you don’t like to. Have a think and unsync your iPhone if you like.
What is Syncing
In the official term, syncing is used instead of linking. Then what is syncing?
You use syncing to manage the files on your Apple device. It allows you to update your device to the latest iOS software. It also backs up your device data to your iCloud or Mac safely. If needed, you can use the latest backup to restore information on your device. This is a useful feature when you want to undisable (or unlock) your iPhone.
Syncing also lets you have great control over what content gets transferred to your device. You can sync all or only selected files. For example, when you are on a trip, you can sync some of the audiobooks to your iPhone to listen while traveling. With this feature, you can easily transfer the files you want. (Apple guide)
Since you turned off one of the Apple features, you might find these tips interesting. This video introduces 7 settings to turn off for your benefit.
We have found a few ways to unlink your iPhone step-by-step. I hope that you found these guides straightforward and you’ve been able to achieve the goal. I’ve written other related posts that you might find helpful. Check these out!