Netspend Prepaid Card offers many benefits. You can use the prepaid card everywhere that accepts Mastercard and it is easy to reload. Big grocery chains like Walmart or H-E-B. Using your Netspend card, you may want to withdraw cash from ATM. But, will it be free? If it’s not free, how much is the fee? In this post, you can learn the fees by different types of Netspend prepaid card. For your information, I included a list of other prepaid cards that offer free ATM cash withdrawal.
Does Netspend Card offer free cash withdrawal?
To answer this question, I went to check the full list of prepaid cards. This reference page includes all of the Netspend’s affiliated prepaid cards and their cardholder agreements and fee information. I checked all of the cards but they all didn’t offer free cash withdrawal from ATM. There were two main fees related to ATM – cash withdrawal and balance inquiry. Checking your balance at ATM is also not free.
As I went through the list, I found most of the cards have the similar fee plans for the ATM services.
- Cash withdrawal: $1.95 – $2.50
- Balance inquiry: $0.50
Depending on the card, the cash withdrawal fee ranges from $1.95 to $2.50 while the balance inquiry fee is consistent across the cards. Check the summary table that shows each card and its ATM fees.
|Cash Withdrawal||Balance Inquiry||Plan|
|ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Debit Card||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Brink’s Money Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Control Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0.50||Monthly|
|Everyday Select Rewards Visa Prepaid Card||$1.95||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Giant Eagle fuelperks! Netspend Visa Prepaid Card||$1.95||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|H-E-B Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0||PAYG / Monthly|
|H-E-B Visa Plus Prepaid Card||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Meijer Visa Prepaid Card||$1.95||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|MLB The Show Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0||Monthly|
|Netspend H-E-B Visa Prepaid Card||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Netspend Liberty Tax Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Netspend Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Netspend Prepaid Visa Card||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Netspend SiempreTax+ Visa Prepaid Card||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Netspend Visa Prepaid Card||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|PayPal Prepaid Mastercard||$1.95||$0.50||Monthly|
|[email protected] Family Prepaid MasterCard *||$0 (in network)|
$2.50 (out of network)
|[email protected] Prepaid MasterCard *||$0 (in network)|
$2.50 (out of network)
|UFAN Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|Western Union Netspend Prepaid Mastercard||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
|World Success Visa Prepaid Card||$2.50||$0.50||PAYG / Monthly|
`* The [email protected] MasterCard has no fee at 7-Eleven with an Allpoint or [email protected] Network ATM. Go to this ATM finder to see the list of locations. There, find the Allpoint or [email protected] logo on an ATM at 7-Eleven.
As you can see from the table, most of the Netspend cards charge a small fee for cash withdrawal and balance inquiry at ATM. The only card type that does not charge the fees was the Transact prepaid cards. It is conditional that you have to withdraw within the U.S. and in the Allpoint or [email protected] network. Check the ATM finder to see the locations.
So yes, there was one Netspend prepaid card that offers free ATM cash withdrawal. But, don’t just look at this single factor to choose a card. There can be other types of the fee you may not like, so please make sure to check the details. To check the fees of the Transact cards, go to the card list page again, find the Transact card, and go to “View Fees”.
Fee-Free ATM Networks
We learned that Allpoint and [email protected] networks offer free cash withdrawal from ATM. In this section, I’ll share more list that offers free ATM cash withdrawal, and this is not related to Netspend. This Yahoo article, ATMs That Don’t Charge Fees, tells you what you can use to enjoy the free fee.
To benefit from free ATM fees, you have to be eligible for one of the networks below.
- CO-OP ATM: it has more than 30,000 ATMs in 50 states and in 10 countries in the world. Their ATM can be found at 7-Eleven, Rite-Aide, and Dunking Donuts, or the places from the CO-OP ATM locator. The CO-OP ATMs are fee-free for the member of credit unions that are part of the CO-OP network.
- Star Network: it has more than two million PIN and Star ATM locations around the U.S. Check the location finder tool to search surcharge-free ATMs.
- Allpoint ATM: it is what I mentioned above. Allpoint has over 55,000 ATMs in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Australia, and the U.K. You can find their ATMs in major stores such as Target, Costco, Walgreens, and CVS. Check their ATM locator to find the nearest one.
- PULSE: it has over 23,000 ATMs in the U.S. and it’s used by more than 60 million cardholders. You can find their ATMs in Walgreens and others. Check their locator to find a near ATM.
- MoneyPass ATM: it has over 25,000 ATM around the U.S. The network has 1,600 organizations and 90 million cardholders. You can find their ATM using their locator.
- AllianceOne: it owns more than 5,000 ATMs in 42 states, except D.C. and Puerto Rico. The network partners with over 700 financial institutions. Check an AllianceOne ATM near you.
- TransFund: It operates in 14 states and serves over two million cardholders. You can find their machine in stores like 7-Eleven, QuikTrip, and more. Use Transfund’s locating tool to find surcharge-free ATMs near you.
If you are considering joining one of the networks, check their ATM locator to see if they have ATMs near your frequently visiting places such as grocery stores, convenience stores, shopping malls, and etc. If a network fits your routines after research, you may want to go with the network to enjoy free cash withdrawal.
Check Banks that Reimburse ATM Fees
In addition to the surcharge-free networks, you can also take advantage of your financial institutes. Some banks such as Schwab’s High Yield Investor Checking returns all ATM fees at the end of each month. Another example is Ally that lets you use any Allpoint ATMs in the U.S. for free. Plus, the bank will reimburse up to $10 in fees from other ATMs outside the network. EverBank does not charge any ATM fees and returns all fees by other ATMs in the U.S. To enjoy the EverBank’s reimbursement, you have to keep a minimum $5,000 balance in your account.
The USAA members can withdraw cash from ATMs for free for the first 10 transactions. They will also return up to $15 fees each month. A lot of credit unions are members of CO-OP Network. If you are a member of credit union, you can use a broad network of credit union ATMs.
Netspend offers a wide range of benefits to its customers. From my research, I could find that only [email protected] prepaid card offers free ATM cash withdrawal. If you have to use cash frequently, using Allpoint or [email protected] network with the Netspend card can be a wise choice. If you don’t want to be limited by Netspend, you can do further research by visiting the ATM location finder of each network. Or, you can check those financial institutes that reimburse ATM surcharges.
ATM fees may be small as an individual occasion, but don’t ignore small amount as it can build up fast.