If you’re an athlete or a fitness enthusiast, you’re probably always on the lookout for ways to improve your performance and endurance. One supplement that has been gaining popularity in the fitness world is SuperBeets. But can it really help you run longer? In this article, we’ll take a look at the science behind SuperBeets and its potential benefits for endurance athletes.
What is SuperBeets?
SuperBeets is a dietary supplement made from concentrated beetroot powder. Beetroot is a rich source of dietary nitrates, which the body converts into nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a molecule that helps to dilate blood vessels, improving blood flow and oxygenation throughout the body.
How Can SuperBeets Improve Endurance?
Endurance is the ability to sustain physical activity over a prolonged period of time. Several studies have suggested that SuperBeets may improve endurance in athletes and fitness enthusiasts.
1. Improved Blood Flow and Oxygenation
SuperBeets contains dietary nitrates, which are converted into nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide helps to dilate blood vessels, improving blood flow and oxygenation to the muscles. This can lead to improved endurance and aerobic capacity, allowing athletes to perform at a higher level for longer periods of time.
2. Reduced Oxygen Cost of Exercise
Research has also shown that SuperBeets may reduce the oxygen cost of exercise, meaning that athletes can perform at a higher level with less oxygen. This can improve endurance and delay the onset of fatigue.
3. Faster Recovery
SuperBeets may also help with post-workout recovery. Research has shown that dietary nitrates can reduce muscle soreness and improve recovery time after exercise.
Scientific Research on SuperBeets and Endurance
Several studies have investigated the effects of dietary nitrates on athletic performance and endurance. One study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology found that consuming beetroot juice, which is high in dietary nitrates, improved cycling performance in trained cyclists. The study found that cyclists who drank beetroot juice were able to cycle for a longer period of time and at a higher intensity compared to those who drank a placebo.
Another study published in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism found that dietary nitrates improved running performance in recreational runners. The study found that runners who consumed beetroot juice had a faster 5K time compared to those who drank a placebo.
How to Incorporate SuperBeets into Your Diet
If you’re interested in incorporating SuperBeets into your diet, there are several ways to do so.
1. SuperBeets Powder
SuperBeets is available in powder form, which can be added to water, smoothies, or other beverages. This is a convenient way to get the benefits of SuperBeets without having to consume large quantities of beetroot.
2. Beetroot Juice
Beetroot juice is a natural source of dietary nitrates and can be a good way to improve endurance. However, it’s important to note that beetroot juice is high in sugar, so it’s best to consume it in moderation.
3. Beetroot Salad
Beetroot can also be incorporated into salads or roasted vegetables. Try mixing diced beets with spinach, feta cheese, and walnuts for a tasty and nutritious salad.
Safety and Precautions
While SuperBeets is generally considered safe for most people, there are a few precautions to keep in mind:
- Consult your doctor: As with any dietary supplement, it’s important to talk to your doctor before adding SuperBeets to your routine, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medications. SuperBeets can interact with certain medications, including drugs used to treat erectile dysfunction and high blood pressure.
- Start with small amounts: If you’re new to SuperBeets or dietary nitrates, start with a small amount to see how your body reacts. Some people may experience side effects like headaches, stomach upset, or diarrhea.
- Don’t exceed recommended dosage: Be sure to follow the recommended dosage on the SuperBeets label. Taking too much can cause a drop in blood pressure, which can be dangerous for people with low blood pressure or those taking medication to lower their blood pressure.
- Not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women: While SuperBeets is generally safe for most people, it’s not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women due to the lack of research on its safety in this population.
- Store properly: SuperBeets should be stored in a cool, dry place away from sunlight and moisture. Be sure to keep it out of reach of children and pets.
While there is no magic pill or supplement that can instantly turn you into an endurance athlete, incorporating SuperBeets into your running routine can provide a natural boost to your performance. With its ability to increase nitric oxide production, improve cardiovascular health, and enhance oxygenation and blood flow, SuperBeets can help you run longer and faster. As with any dietary supplement, it’s important to talk to your doctor before adding SuperBeets to your routine, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medications. With its many health benefits and versatility, SuperBeets is a great addition to any runner’s diet and exercise routine.
More about SuperBeets?