With the cost of living constantly on the rise, it’s no surprise that many people are looking for ways to supplement their income. A side hustle can be a great way to bring in some extra cash while still maintaining your primary source of income. In this article, we will discuss 10 easy side hustles that you can do to supplement your income in 2023.
Top 10 Side Hustles
Whether you’re looking to earn a few extra dollars a week or turn your side hustle into a full-time business, there’s something on this list for everyone. So let’s dive in and discover ten easy ways to make money on the side!
Freelancing has become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. It offers a great opportunity for people who want to work on their own terms and have a flexible schedule. The beauty of freelancing is that it allows you to work in a variety of fields, including writing, graphic design, web development, social media management, and more.
One of the biggest benefits of freelancing is the ability to work from anywhere in the world. You can work from the comfort of your own home, or even from a beach in Bali! There are many platforms that connect freelancers with clients, such as Upwork, Fiverr, and Freelancer. These platforms allow you to set up a profile, showcase your skills, and start bidding on projects.
As a freelancer, you have the freedom to set your own rates and choose the projects that interest you. This means that you can focus on work that you enjoy and that aligns with your skills and interests. However, it’s important to keep in mind that there is often a lot of competition in the freelance world. To stand out from the crowd, you’ll need to have a strong portfolio and be able to market yourself effectively.
Another thing to consider when freelancing is the potential for unstable income. Freelancers don’t have a guaranteed salary or benefits like traditional employees, so it’s important to manage your finances carefully. It’s a good idea to save a portion of your earnings each month to build up an emergency fund.
Steps to Start Freelancing
- Determine your skills: Freelancing requires specialized skills in a particular area. Determine what you’re good at and where you can offer value to clients.
- Build a portfolio: Create a portfolio of your work that showcases your skills and experience. This could include writing samples, design work, coding projects, or anything else that demonstrates your abilities.
- Choose a platform: There are many freelancing platforms out there, such as Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr. Research and choose a platform that aligns with your skills and experience.
- Create a profile: Set up a profile on your chosen platform that highlights your skills and experience. This is your chance to showcase your portfolio and let potential clients know what you can offer.
- Start bidding: Once you’ve set up your profile, start bidding on projects that interest you. Make sure your bids are competitive and tailored to the specific project.
- Communicate effectively: Communication is key when working as a freelancer. Make sure you’re clear and responsive in your communications with clients.
- Deliver quality work: When working on a project, make sure you deliver high-quality work that meets or exceeds the client’s expectations. This will help you build a strong reputation and attract more clients in the future.
- Build relationships: Building relationships with clients is important in the freelancing world. If a client is happy with your work, they may offer you more projects or refer you to others.
- Manage your finances: As a freelancer, it’s important to manage your finances carefully. Keep track of your earnings and expenses, and set aside a portion of your income for taxes and an emergency fund.
2. Online Tutoring
If you have expertise in a particular subject, online tutoring can be a great way to earn extra income. Online tutoring platforms like Chegg and TutorMe connect tutors with students who need help in a particular subject. You can also create your own tutoring business by advertising your services on social media and tutoring directories.
Here’s how you can get started with online tutoring:
- Determine your subject and target audience: Decide which subject you want to tutor and who your target audience is. Are you comfortable tutoring high school students or do you prefer working with college students? Narrowing down your focus will help you market yourself more effectively.
- Choose a platform: There are several online tutoring platforms like Chegg and TutorMe that you can sign up for to start tutoring. These platforms handle the payment and scheduling aspects of the tutoring process, making it easier for you to focus on teaching.
- Create a profile: Once you’ve chosen a platform, create a profile that highlights your expertise and experience. This could include your educational background, work experience, and any certifications or awards you’ve received.
- Set your rates: Decide how much you want to charge for your tutoring services. Research what other tutors in your subject and target audience are charging to make sure your rates are competitive.
- Market yourself: Advertise your tutoring services on social media and tutoring directories to reach a wider audience. You can also ask for referrals from satisfied clients.
- Deliver quality tutoring: When working with students, make sure you provide high-quality tutoring that meets their needs. Create lesson plans and materials in advance, and be responsive to their questions and concerns.
- Build relationships: Building relationships with students is important in the tutoring world. If a student is happy with your work, they may offer you more tutoring sessions or refer you to others.
- Manage your finances: Keep track of your earnings and expenses, and set aside a portion of your income for taxes and an emergency fund.
Tutoring Website Comparison
|Website||Subjects||Experience Required||Hourly Rate||Commission Fee||Payment Method|
|Chegg Tutors||Various||Bachelor’s degree or higher||Up to $20||20%||Direct deposit or PayPal|
|TutorMe||Various||Bachelor’s degree or higher||Up to $24||33%||Direct deposit or PayPal|
|Varsity Tutors||Various||Bachelor’s degree or higher||Up to $50+||15-20%||Direct deposit or check|
|Skooli||Various||Bachelor’s degree or higher||Up to $25||20%||Direct deposit or PayPal|
|Wyzant||Various||Varies by subject||Set your own rate||25%||Direct deposit or PayPal|
|Preply||Various||Varies by subject||Up to $30||100% for first lesson, then 18-33%||PayPal or Payoneer|
|Verbling||Language learning||Teaching experience preferred||Set your own rate||15%||Direct deposit or PayPal|
Note: The information in this table is subject to change, so it’s important to check the individual websites for the most up-to-date information. Additionally, each website may have its own terms and conditions, which should be carefully reviewed before signing up as a tutor.
3. Virtual Assisting
Starting a virtual assistant business requires a few key steps. First, you need to identify your target market and the services you want to offer. You can specialize in a specific niche, such as social media management or bookkeeping, or provide a broader range of administrative services. Once you have determined your niche and services, you can create a website and social media profiles to promote your business and attract clients.
To be a successful virtual assistant, you need to have excellent organizational and communication skills. You will be working with multiple clients and managing various tasks simultaneously, so being able to prioritize and manage your time effectively is essential. Additionally, you need to be comfortable using technology and various software programs, as most communication and work will be done online.
Virtual assisting is an excellent side hustle for anyone who enjoys working independently and has a knack for organization and communication. It’s also an excellent opportunity for stay-at-home parents or anyone looking for a flexible work schedule. With the rise of remote work and the gig economy, virtual assisting is becoming an increasingly popular and lucrative side hustle.
4. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a popular way to earn passive income. By promoting products or services on your website or social media accounts, you can earn a commission for each sale made through your unique affiliate link. Many companies, including Amazon, have affiliate programs that allow you to earn a percentage of each sale.
To build your audience that can potentially be a buyer, consider building your communication channel. Some of the examples include:
- Niche blogging: If you have a passion for a particular topic or interest, you can create a blog and promote relevant products through affiliate links. For example, if you love fitness and health, you can create a fitness blog and promote fitness equipment, supplements, and workout programs. Real case: John started a blog about pet care and promoted pet food, toys, and other pet-related products. He earned a commission for each sale made through his affiliate links.
- Social media influencing: If you have a large following on social media, you can become an influencer and promote products through affiliate links. Many companies, especially in the beauty and fashion industries, partner with influencers to reach their target audience. Real case: Sarah, a fashion influencer, promoted a clothing brand on her Instagram page and earned a commission for each sale made through her unique affiliate link.
- Review websites: You can create a website dedicated to reviewing products in a particular niche and include affiliate links for each product. Real case: Mark created a website that reviewed home security systems and included affiliate links for each system. He earned a commission for each sale made through his website.
- Email marketing: You can create an email list and promote relevant products through affiliate links in your emails. Real case: Samantha created an email list of subscribers interested in healthy living and promoted health supplements and exercise equipment through her emails. She earned a commission for each sale made through her unique affiliate links.
5. Selling on Etsy or eBay
If you’re crafty or artistic, selling your creations on Etsy can be a great way to make money on the side. Etsy is an online marketplace for handmade and vintage items. You can create your own shop and sell items like jewelry, clothing, and home decor.
Similarly, eBay is an online platform where you can sell both new and used items. You can sell a wide range of products on eBay, including electronics, fashion items, and collectibles. Both Etsy and eBay provide a great opportunity for people to start their own small businesses and make extra income.
To get started, you need to create an account on either platform and set up your shop or listings. It’s important to create high-quality product photos and descriptions to attract potential buyers. You can also promote your shop or listings on social media or other websites to reach a wider audience.
One inspiring example of a successful Etsy seller is Cat Coquillette, an artist and designer who has built a successful business selling her artwork on Etsy. She offers a wide range of products, including prints, stickers, and phone cases, and has over 20,000 sales on the platform.
On eBay, one successful seller is Jonathan Stubbs, who started selling on the platform in 2013 and has since built a thriving business selling everything from used DVDs to vintage cameras. He emphasizes the importance of good customer service and fast shipping to build a loyal customer base.
Whether you choose Etsy or eBay, selling your own products online can be a rewarding and profitable side hustle.
Here are a few recommended materials for starting an eBay or Etsy business:
- “Starting an Etsy Business For Dummies” by Kate Shoup and Allison Strine
- “eBay Business All-in-One For Dummies” by Marsha Collier
- “The Everything Guide to Selling Arts & Crafts Online: How to sell on Etsy, eBay, your storefront, and everywhere else online” by Kim Solga
- “eBay 101: Selling on eBay For Part-time or Full-time Income, Beginner to PowerSeller in 90 Days” by Steve Weber
- “Etsy Empire: Proven Tactics for Your Etsy Business Success, Including Etsy SEO, Etsy Shop Building, Social Media for Etsy and Etsy Pricing Tips” by Sarah Moore
These resources provide step-by-step guidance on starting and growing your eBay or Etsy business, from setting up your shop to optimizing your listings and marketing your products.
6. Renting out a Room on Airbnb
Renting out a room on Airbnb can be a great way to earn extra income, especially if you live in a popular tourist destination. To get started, you’ll need to create an account on the Airbnb website and create a listing for your space. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Create an attractive listing: Make sure your listing is well-written and includes high-quality photos of your space. Be sure to highlight any unique features or amenities that your space has to offer.
- Set your rates: Research other listings in your area to get an idea of what similar spaces are renting for. Set your rates accordingly, but keep in mind that you may need to adjust them based on demand.
- Prepare your space: Make sure your space is clean, comfortable, and welcoming for guests. Provide fresh linens, towels, and any other amenities that will make their stay more enjoyable.
- Be a good host: Respond promptly to inquiries and be available to answer any questions your guests may have. Make sure you provide clear instructions for checking in and out of your space.
7. Driving for Uber or Lyft
Driving for Uber or Lyft is a popular side hustle that has gained popularity in recent years. It is a great option for people who have a car and want to earn some extra income on their own schedule. To get started, you will need to meet the requirements of the ride-sharing service that you want to drive for. This usually involves passing a background check, having a valid driver’s license, and meeting the minimum age requirement.
Once you are approved as a driver, you will need to download the app and set up your account. You will also need to provide information about your vehicle, including its make and model.
When you are ready to start driving, simply turn on the app and wait for ride requests. You can choose to accept or decline requests based on your availability and location. As a driver, you will earn a percentage of the fare for each ride you complete, and you can cash out your earnings at any time.
Some tips for maximizing your earnings as an Uber or Lyft driver include driving during peak hours when demand is high, keeping your car clean and well-maintained, and providing excellent customer service to increase your chances of getting a high rating.
It is also important to remember that driving for ride-sharing services can be risky, as you are responsible for the safety of your passengers and yourself while on the road. Make sure to follow all traffic laws and take necessary precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride for everyone involved.
8. Dog Walking or Pet Sitting
Dog walking and pet sitting are great side hustles for animal lovers who enjoy spending time with pets. These services are particularly in demand in busy cities where pet owners may not have the time to take their dogs for regular walks or need someone to take care of their pets while they are away.
To get started with dog walking or pet sitting, you can follow these steps:
- Determine your services: Decide what services you want to offer, such as dog walking, pet sitting, or both. Consider your availability and schedule to determine what type of services you can provide.
- Set your rates: Research local rates for dog walking and pet sitting services to determine what to charge. You can also consider charging extra for additional services, such as administering medication or providing extra playtime.
- Get certified: Consider getting certified in pet first aid and CPR to demonstrate your expertise and reassure clients that their pets are in good hands.
- Build your client base: Advertise your services on social media, local pet-sitting directories, and through word of mouth. Consider offering a discount to your first few clients to get your business up and running.
- Be professional: Always be punctual, responsible, and professional when interacting with clients and their pets. Keep detailed records of your services and communicate clearly with clients about their pet’s needs and any updates.
There are many different ways to get creative with pet-sitting and dog-walking services to stand out from the competition. For example, you can offer additional services such as grooming, training, or even pet photography. Another option is to focus on a niche market, such as elderly pet owners who may need extra assistance caring for their pets. By providing high-quality services and going above and beyond for your clients, you can build a loyal client base and turn your side hustle into a thriving business.
9. Renting out your Parking Space
Renting out your parking space can be a great way to make some extra cash, especially if you live in a city or a busy area where parking is in high demand. The process is straightforward: you sign up on a parking space rental platform, list your parking space with photos and details, and set your price and availability. Once your listing is live, people who need a place to park can search for and book your space.
One popular platform for renting out your parking space is Parklee. Parklee is a peer-to-peer parking space rental platform that connects parking space owners with people who need a place to park. On Parklee, you can list your parking space for free and set your own price and availability. The platform also handles the payment process, making it easy to get paid for renting out your parking space.
Another platform for renting out your parking space is Spacer. Spacer is similar to Parklee in that it connects parking space owners with people who need a place to park. However, Spacer also allows you to rent out other types of storage space, such as garages and storage units. On Spacer, you can list your parking space or storage space for free and set your own price and availability. The platform also offers insurance to protect your space in case of damage or theft.
Renting out your parking space can be a great way to make some extra cash without doing much work. It’s important to keep in mind that you’ll need to have a safe and secure parking space to rent out, and you may need to obtain permission from your landlord or homeowners’ association if you’re renting or own a property. However, if you have a parking space that you’re not using, renting it out can be a simple and effective way to earn some extra money.
10. Selling Stock Photos
Selling stock photos can be a great way to turn your passion for photography into a profitable side hustle. Stock photos are images that can be licensed for use in various forms of media, such as websites, advertisements, and social media posts. To get started, you will need to create a portfolio of high-quality photos that can be licensed. You can then upload your photos to stock photo platforms like Shutterstock and Adobe Stock.
To increase your chances of making sales, it’s important to understand the types of photos that are in high demand. Popular themes include lifestyle, travel, and business. Additionally, make sure that your photos are visually appealing and have a clear subject. You may also want to consider keywording your photos to improve their searchability.
One example of a successful stock photographer is Anna Om, who has earned over $60,000 by selling her photos on Shutterstock. She specializes in lifestyle and business photos and focuses on creating authentic, relatable images that can be used in a variety of settings. Another example is Eric Limon, who has earned over $1 million by selling his photos on Shutterstock. He focuses on landscape and nature photos and uses his background in film to create visually stunning images.
If you have a talent for photography and enjoy taking pictures, selling stock photos can be a profitable side hustle that allows you to express your creativity.
There are many side hustles that you can pursue to earn extra income. Whether you’re looking to work from home, have a flexible schedule, or use your existing skills, there’s a side hustle out there for you. From freelancing and virtual assisting to selling on Etsy or Ebay and renting out your parking space or a room on Airbnb, the options are endless. The key is to find a side hustle that aligns with your interests and skills, and to put in the time and effort to make it successful. With determination and hard work, you can turn your side hustle into a profitable venture and reach your financial goals.