This post explains how to unpair Apple Watch step-by-step. For those who prefer a video guide, I included a video instruction. Let’s find out how to unpaid your Apple Watch from your iPhone.
How to unpair Apple watch
To unpair Apple Watch from your iPhone, follow the steps below.
- Make sure your Apple Watch to be near your iPhone to unpair.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Find the “My Watch” tab and select your watch at the top.
- Tap the info button that is right next to the watch you want to unpair.
- Tap “Unpair Apple Watch”.
- Tap again to confirm. To disable Activation Lock, you may have to enter your Apple ID password. Before you remove all your data on the Apple Watch, your iPhone will create a new backup of the watch. With the backup data, you can apply the same settings and contents to a new Apple Watch. After unpairing, you will see the “Start Pairing” message.
If you don’t have your iPhone around
If you can’t unpair because you don’t have your iPhone nearby, you can still delete all your content and settings on your Apple Watch. Please note that this is not unpairing.
- Tap the buttons in this order: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- Tap “Erase All” to confirm. This will reset your Apple Watch to factory settings.
By doing these, you can delete all your settings and data on your Apple Watch.
When do you want to unpair your Apple Watch
We’ve learned how to unpair Apple Watch from iPhone. Then, when do we want to unpair it? There are several cases.
- You got a new Apple Watch or iPhone.
- You want to sell Apple Watch or iPhone.
Among the cases, especially when we want to sell the Apple devices, it is extremely important to delete all your data and settings for security. Plus, backing up your data is as important as deleting.
If you want to watch a video guide, check this one below.
13 Apple Watch Tips
I believe you have been able to unpair your Apple Watch by now. If you did it for a new Apple Watch, this section may be useful for you. I will introduce 13 essential tips to use for your new Apple Watch.
1. Return to the last-used app when it wakes up
You will know that when you turn your wrist to wake up your Apple Watch, it shows the time. Did you know that there is a setting that takes you to the last-used app, instead of the time, when it wakes up? To enable this feature, on your watch, go to Settings > General > Wake Screen.
Then, scroll down to the section that says “On Screen Raise Show Last”. Choose one of “While in Session”, “Within 2 Minutes of Last Use”, or “Within 1 Hour of Last Use”, and “Always”. If I explain what each means:
- While in Session: as long as the session of the last-used app is alive, go back to the app or show the time.
- Within 2 Minutes of Last Use: go back to the last-used app if you wake up your watch within 2 minutes or show the time.
- Within 1 Hour of Last Use: go back to the last-used app if you wake up your watch within 1 hour or show the time.
- Always: always go back to the last-used app.
2. Use Apple Watch to unlock your Mac
Did you know that you can unlock your Mac without putting your password? If you have one of the following versions, you can use this cool feature.
- Mac (mid-2013 or later) with macOS Sierra (Apple Watch Series 1 and 2)
- macOS High Sierra or later (Apple Watch Series 3 or later)
If you have the right version as above, go to “Security & Privacy” on your mac. Then, click “
3. Use Apple Watch as a remote controller for your Apple TV
Everyone would have an experience of checking underneath your sofa to find a remote controller. I do too. If you can control your TV with a watch, wouldn’t it be great? It always stays in your wrist and you will never forget! Apple TV has its own remote controller, but it still is a remote controller.
To use this feature, on your Apple Watch, find the Remote app that looks like a blue play button.
4. Find your iPhone with Apple Watch
Another item I often forgot is my iPhone. I put everywhere like under my pillow, blanket, on my desk, table, and many more! And, I can’t find it. With Apple Watch, you can easily find it.
To use this feature, swipe up to see Control Center. On there, tap the “Ping iPhone” button in blue to make it sound noise. Follow the sound to find your lost iPhone.
5. Take a breath
If you want a quick meditation or a simple way to calm down, try the Breath app of Apple Watch. I sometimes use it, and it especially helps me not to make a hasty decision or calm myself down. As you use the app, blue circles will expand and contract – a pace you’ll follow to do the breathing exercise. You can do it for one minute or longer.
To use the feature, find the app icon that looks like many blue circles overlapping each other.
6. Default response message
It is convenient to use Apple Watch to quickly check messages. But responding to them can be not very convenient. For this, you can set a default response message and quickly respond with minimal effort. You can set up a few default messages and choose one of them.
To use this, go to My Watch > Messages > Default Replies.
7. Use Apple Watch as a clicker for iPhone camera
Oh, there was more you can control remotely with your Apple Watch – iPhone camera. When you want to take a family photo and put your iPhone somewhere at a proper height, how are you going to take a photo? You can use Apple Watch as a clicker for iPhone camera. Or you can use it to check what your iPhone sees for fun.
To use this feature, find the “Remote Camera” app on your watch. You give some delay if you are don’t want your iPhone camera taking the picture of you controlling Apple Watch.
8. Walkie Talkie app on Apple Watch
Apple Watch has this fun feature which allows you to talk over the watch like a walkie talkie. With this app, you can quickly talk to your friend and find someone in the crowd. To use this feature, you and your friend’s Apple Watch must be Series 1 or later with watchOS 5.3 or later. Plus, both need to set up the FaceTime app on your iPhone that has iOS 12.4 or later. Both should be able to make and receive FaceTime audio calls. Please note that the app is not available in all countries and regions.
To use the app,
- Tap the Walkie-Talkie app on your Apple Watch.
- Press “Add Friends”, and then choose a contact.
- Wait for the person to accept the invitation. Those people you invited will appear under “Friends You Invited” before they accept your invitation. Once they accept it, their contact will turn yellow and you can start talking instantly.
9. Clear all your notifications with Force Touch
Your Apple Watch keeps notifying you of events, messages, and other things you are supposed to know. You will read them but may not want to bother deleting each notification. To clear all your notifications,
- Swipe down on the display to access Notifications.
- Force Touch the display to bring up the “Clear All” option.
10. Use Apple Watch to check your grocery items
When I do grocery shopping, I use my iPhone to check the list. It is not convenient because I have to constantly pull it out of my pocket, check it, and then put it back. Apple Watch can be a better choice for this task. If you want to download a to-do app, check this article, The best free Apple Watch to-do list apps.
We learned how to unpair Apple Watch step-by-step with the video guide. I believe unpairing Apple Watch from your iPhone is quite straightforward. I hope that the 10 useful Apple Watch tips are helpful for you.
If you want to find other Apple guides, check my other posts.