Venmo offers a wide range of convenient features including Venmo’s debit card. You can link a debit card to your Venmo account, which allows you to easily track your spending on the Venmo app and website. To use the debit card, you’ll need to load money into your linked account. Plus, if you want to transfer to someone else’s Venmo debit card, thus the person’s Venmo account, there is an easy way to do it.
In this post, we will learn how to transfer to your or someone else’s debit card.
How to transfer to your debit card
To transfer to your debit card, you first need to make sure that the debit card is linked to your Venmo account. By this, you will be able to spend the debit card and the payment will be deducted from the linked account. To link your debit (or credit card), follow the steps below.
- Open your Venmo app.
- Find and tap the “☰” button at the top.
- Find “Settings”, and select “Payment Methods”.
- Select “Add bank or card…” and then choose “Card”.
- Add your card details manually. Or, you can scan it by using your phone’s camera.
After adding your card, make sure you set it as the primary payment method. To do that, go to “Settings” again and then “Payment Methods”.
Add (transfer) money to your debit card
Now your card is enabled and ready to use. One more thing you need to do is transferring (adding) money to your Venmo account that’s linked to your debit card. Basically, it is your Venmo account that needs to be loaded with funds not your debit card because the debit card withdraws money from your account.
“Venmo card purchases are funded by your Venmo balance.” – Venmo Card Reloads
To transfer funds, follow the steps below.
- Open your Venmo app.
- Tap the “☰” icon at the top on the main screen.
- Select “Manage Balance”.
- Select “Add Money”.
- Enter your transfer amount and tap “Done”.
- Check the bank account where you want to send money from. And, tap “Next”.
- Finally check the transfer details including estimated arrival date, and tap “Add Money”.
- *Once you finish the final step, there is no way to cancel your transfer order.
Using the Venmo app, you can easily add money to your Venmo balance for debit card. One of the steps asked you to select your bank. In case you haven’t linked your bank, I added the guide how to link your bank account.
How to link your bank account
To load money into your Venmo account, one easy way is to directly withdraw from your bank account. To link your bank account, follow the steps below.
- Tap the “☰” icon at the top of the app.
- Select “Settings” and then “Payment Methods”.
- Select “Add a bank or card…” and select “Bank”.
- Choose the verification method you prefer.
If you want to add your bank account manually, make sure not to fill out the check number that appears after your account number. Venmo warns that this can cause failure or rejections of transfers by your bank. Also, for the manual addition, Venmo will send small amounts (less than $1) to your bank account to verify ownership. To prevent any overdraft or bank fees, ensure that you have, in minimum, $2 in your bank account.
How to transfer to someone’s debit card
If you are looking for a way to transfer to someone else’s debit card, you have to send funds to the person’s Venmo account. To make a transfer, follow the steps below.
- Go to the Venmo app and find the pay icon at the top right corner. The icon looks like below.
- In the text box, enter the recipient’s Venmo user name. You can search in your friend list by scrolling down. If you are sending funds to the person for the first time, Venmo will ask you to confirm that it is the right person.
- Put in the amount you want to transfer.
- You can also write a memo about the payment. Also, you can choose an option to show the transaction to “Friends”, “Public”, or “Private”.
- After filling out, you can select “Pay”.
- Lastly, you can decide how you’d like to pay. The options include credit / debit card or bank account that’s liked to your Venmo account.
- When everything is good, tap “Pay”. Venmo will send you a confirmation email and your transaction will appear in your history.
That’s it. If you are wondering if there is a way to delete Venmo transaction history, check my other post, “How to Delete Venmo History“.
We learned how to transfer funds to your Venmo debit card or someone else’s. The methods are quite straightforward. Just remember that you have to load funds into your Venmo account that’s liked to your debit card. The same goes to transferring to another person. Using the features, you can now easily load and transfer funds for debit cards.
If you want to know more about Venmo, check the following posts: